Make no mistake: the list of causes for erectile dysfunction is quite versatile.
Some ED sources, like cardiovascular disease and unhealthy eating habits, are easily trackable and have a clear path to resolution.
However, some ED risk factors are a little bit more subtle than that.
For instance, did you know that inadequate sunlight can adversely affect your erectile function?
Recent research proves this notion, claiming that a Vitamin D deficiency—due to a constant lack of sun exposure—contributes to erectile dysfunction in men.
In other words, if you’re looking for a way to fight ED on top of other clinical treatments, getting some sunlight can be a natural way to improve your erections.
Let’s closely look into the relationship between erectile function and sunlight.
What Is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction, or ED, is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual intercourse.
This sexual dysfunction can be caused due to a myriad of factors, but ED is formally diagnosed in a clinical setting. When there’s not enough blood flow to the penis, ED can be the resulting outcome.
A lack of ample blood flow can be due to physical health conditions, such as obesity or diabetes, or forms of psychological distress like anxiety or depression.
When you’re unable to keep an erection, there’s a high chance that an underlying health issue is stopping you from getting one. Contact a doctor to request a professional ED medical evaluation that is custom-made for your unique medical situation.
Vitamin D and Sunlight
Vitamin D, also known as the “sunshine vitamin”, is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays a plethora of important roles in the body.
Its most notable functions include:
- Promoting bone health
- Strengthening the immune system
- Aiding in cell growth
One of the most notable ways Vitamin D is attained is through exposure to sunlight. While vitamin D supplements are effective in improving the overall health of the human body, nothing’s quite like sunshine.
Vitamin D synthesis occurs when the cholesterol found in the skin is exposed to UV rays.
However, as more people continue to live a lifestyle with limited sun exposure, low vitamin D levels have become increasingly common over time.
Consequently, this leads to detrimental health effects on the bodies of millions of men (and women) across the world. Bone aches, muscle weakness, and appetite loss are some of the few adverse health outcomes of a Vitamin D deficiency.
And, unfortunately, a man’s sexual function is not left unravaged by this condition either.
Erectile Function and Vitamin D: The Connection
Erectile function and Vitamin D levels are intimately connected. And there are a couple of reasons for this association.
According to one Urological Research study, strips in the corpus cavernosum—the erectile chambers tissues that fill with blood when aroused—become more relaxed upon being exposed to the sun’s UV rays. This increased dilation helps more blood from the blood vessels enter the penis during periods of arousal, which subsequently leads to an erection.
Furthermore, Vitamin D is also directly involved in nitric oxide production. Nitric oxide is a vasodilator, meaning it helps relax the muscles in the penis for greater blood flow. On the contrary, a Vitamin D deficiency would lead to the body working less efficiently in trying to achieve erections, causing erectile quality to stagnate.
Lastly, being out in the sun is also a potent mood enhancer. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and depression are two mental states commonly associated with ED, and getting some sunshine can be a good way to manage these symptoms.
The various activities that are conducted outdoors, like running and cycling, also help the physical body and play a significant role in improving erections.
In summary, erection quality improves with adequate exposure to sunlight as it:
- Allows for greater relaxation of corpus cavernosum tissues
- Facilitates nitric oxide production
- Provides a boost in mood
- Increases physical activity levels
While sunshine exposure is certainly useful for improving erectile function, it’s important to remember that other methods may be more effective.
Alternative Ways to Improve Erections
If you’re suffering from erectile dysfunction, you’ll benefit from undertaking more drastic lifestyle changes besides just getting some sun.
Here are some lifestyle remedies that can help bring your erections to life:
- Eat an aphrodisiac diet filled with lean meat, fruits, and vegetables
- Eat less to control your blood sugar
- Catch up on sleep to ensure your body is well-rested
- Eliminate or manage sources of stress
- Avoid drinking and smoking vapes
- Start exercising regularly
- Take herbal supplements and vitamin D supplementation
If your ED is still lingering, you should consider visiting a doctor to check on your erectile response.
Erectile dysfunction is a common condition, affecting hundreds of millions of men around the world. With how common it is, there are also several clinical treatment plans that you can try to help alleviate your condition.
- Erectile dysfunction treatment: A clinically-prescribed ED plan that utilizes a combination of topical creams, gels, and injections to gradually improve erectile function in men with moderate to severe erectile dysfunction.
- RestoreWave therapy: Also referred to as acoustic wave therapy, this non-invasive treatment breaks plaque that obstructs the smooth flow of blood in the erectile tissue. The breakdown of plaque causes firmer erections, among other benefits.
- Vacuum pumps: An erectile dysfunction device that helps to draw blood into the penis when activated, resulting in a stronger erection.
- Penile implants: A semi-permanent solution for severe erectile dysfunction, this surgery implants an inflatable rod in the penis that helps to induce an erection.
- Plication surgery: If none of the other treatments works, this is a last-resort option that surgically changes the penis structure to improve any deformities.
Rekindle Your Spark in the Bedroom with Help from Atlanta’s Top Male Medical Professionals
Erectile dysfunction can be a great source of distress for both you and your intimate relationships, and oftentimes, getting a sunbath just won’t cut it.
But here is the good news: medical help is less than a message away.
At Priority Men’s Medical Center in Atlanta, we specialize in top-notch men’s health treatment to bring your sexual performance back to peak levels.
With a team of experienced and knowledgeable physicians, alongside various treatment plans like erectile dysfunction therapy, testosterone replacement therapy, and premature ejaculation therapy, we are confident to provide you with the care you need to improve any problems, from vitamin deficiency to sexual health and cardiovascular health.
Give our team a call today to schedule your appointment.